The cost of flying has gone down by so much with the rising demand for travel. For leisure, for work, for school or for exploring, travelling is a rising trend in the society today. So it becomes extremely important to know when is the best time to purchase the tickets to save even more!
Weekly Airline Promotions
Mark your dates because these are the days you want to check the airline promotions and discounts!
With everyone flying everywhere so often now, airline companies are also stepping up their game with really affordable plane tickets. This is especially so for South Asia and South East Asia with Oceania (Australia)! One day of the week, these popular low cost airlines will have a massive promotion and you’re in for a treat. So get your calendar ready and here we go!
#TrevellersTip: Sign up for their newsletter like their Facebook pages to get the latest updates on their promotions. There is a specific time period that these promotions last so it’s good to know the promotions before everyone snaps them away!
Cheapest Way to Purchase Plane Tickets
How do I buy the cheapest plane tickets?
Unless you’re interested in one of those weekly deals listed above and have to buy within a time period, when is the next cheapest day to purchase your tickets or make your bookings then?
Firstly, shop early.
The best time to buy the tickets is 6-8 weeks before you fly. For international flights, you can even purchase 180 days in advance! Singapore Airlines is having a massive crazy sale right now. The condition is to book 180 days before flying, so plan ahead and grab those deals! This is especially so for the holiday period.
Secondly, sign up for newsletters.
Official airline sites and sites that compare prices now have an email alert system that notifies you if there is a change in prices. Also, sign up with them to get the latest promotions and offers.
Thirdly, book early in the week.
Technology has improved to a large extent and websites are always capturing your data. Prices change frequently on the website and changes as you increase your visit to the sites. The prices of air tickets also change during the days of the week. More discounts are offered early in the week.
Cheapest Day to Buy and Fly
Flying on a day earlier or later does make a difference!
Now, having said that, when is the cheapest day to buy my tickets and when should I fly?
- Buy your tickets on Tuesday and Wednesday.
- Fly on Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturday.
Sunday is the most expensive to fly and for domestic routes, Friday would be expensive too. When you purchase your tickets, it’s good to clear your cookies or use another browser to book your tickets. This is because the airline website knows that you are interested in the flight route and would increase the prices marginally. Clear the cookie and save some money to buy real cookies!
Trevellers Travelhack Tips
Other IMPORTANT tips
- Change location when purchasing your air tickets. Experiment with locations like Brazil, Thailand, Cambodia, etc. and make your booking. Some airlines do give cheaper prices when people book from a specific location!
- Look out for promotions by international airlines like Singapore Airlines, Cathay Pacific, Lufthansa, Emirates and Qatar. These international carriers should not be forgotten too as they do offer very attractive deals too. The service is always better with more leg space on the seats.
- Sign up with airline alliances frequent flyer programs like Star Alliance, Oneworld or SkyTeam. You get miles and points while travelling with any of their participating airline partners. Credit card companies are now working with airline groups to help you stock up points! Find the credit card that helps you to get points and miles and you can change them to free flights or free upgrade to business or first class!
- If you are travelling around Europe, consider to plan ahead and book train tickets ahead of time. This will save you tons of money instead of flying. However when in the USA, fly across states instead, as it is cheaper.
- Look out for other airports that are nearby instead. Flying to Milan (Italy) then travel to Lugano (Switzerland) might be cheaper than flying to Zurich (Switzerland) then travel to Lugano (Switzerland).
So in summary, these are the 5 lessons you need to know:
- Tuesday, Thursday and Friday are days you should check your cheap airline deals.
- Purchase early, sign up for newsletters & Facebook page and book early in the week.
- Buy on Tuesday and Wednesday.
- Fly on Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturday.
- Look for cheap air tickets when travelling Asia and USA. Look for train discounts in Europe.
Trevellers is my way to change the world. Through my stories, tips and lessons learnt, I truly hope to inspire you to get out of your comfort zone, see the world and see who you truly are. Travel is more than just taking a selfie. Travel is an adventure, where you can truly become who you are, give you the time to reflect and grow to become the person you’ve always wanted to be.