Food in Singapore is the best thing about Singapore. When I travel, I miss the food more than anything, after the people. It’s not possible to get good Singapore food abroad.
“Those who know nothing of foreign languages know nothing of their own.” — Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Being away really makes me appreciate what I originally had.
Singapore Food Haven
Singapore is a food haven. That is a fact. It is also a luxury I have been taking for granted. Living in Hong Kong allowed me to appreciate Singapore even more. I am more determined to travel, explore and discover Singapore, for I am a proud Singaporean.
These are my personal favourite. I’ve travelled around the world and still come home these favourite dishes.
- 10 Authentic Local Singaporean Dishes under S$5
- Best Char Kway Teow in Singapore
- 5 Local Singaporean Dishes To Eat At Bukit Merah Hawker Centre
- 7 Dishes To Eat at Old Airport Road Singapore
- Cheapest and Best Teh Tarik in Singapore
- Best Handmade Yong Tau Fu: A Must Eat in Singapore
- Penang vs Katong Laksa in Singapore
- 9 Favourite Rooftop Bars
Top 1-5 Food in Singapore
Char Kway Teow from Zion Road
- Address: #01-17, Zion Riverside Food Centre, 70 Zion Road, 247792
- Cost: SGD$5/person
- They have been cooking this dish for many years now, and many famous people visited his store before! Do note that there is always a super long queue.
- Address: Bugis Street
- Cost: SGD$2.50
- I love bread. And this bread is unlike others. I literally cannot find a place outside of Singapore that makes bread this way! Best traditional Asian sweet bread bun EVER. Eat it toasted with some Kaya jam!
Hainanese Chicken Rice from Seng Heng Chicken Rice
- Address: #02-177, Bukit Timah Market and Food Centre, 116 Upper Bukit Timah Road
- Cost: SGD$6
- The thing about chicken rice is that rice is the MOST important. Good rice is the key to a good chicken rice dish.
- Address Blk 503 West Coast Drive #01-02 Singapore 120503
- Yong Tau Fu is everywhere, in all hawker centres and food courts in Singapore. However, to find a good one is tough! I prefer handmade ingredients to factory made ones because they just taste much nicer when it comes to the texture and flavour. I found this place and we have never stopped going back since!
- Address: 51 Upper Bukit Timah Rd, Bukit Timah Market and Food Centre, Singapore 588172
- Cost from $2.50.
- My late grandfather will laugh at me if he sees this. When he picks me up from school, he will bring me to my favourite fried carrot cake shop and watch me gobble down the dish in seconds. The fried carrot cake is made of turnip, fried with egg and optional chilli. You also have the dark version, adding the sweet dark sauce. This is our favourite dish together.
Top 5-10 Food in Singapore
- Address: Bukit Merah Market
- This fish soup is so popular, people start queueing for the food before 10.30am. In addition, there are many pre-orders waiting in line before 10.30am! They have several options on their menu, from sliced fish porridge to different noodles with sliced fish, you can also order fish head if you know how to eat them.
Salted egg crab from Master Crab Seafood Restaurant
- Address: Blk 19 Ghim Moh Road #01-229. Singapore, Singapore
- Cost: SGD$30/person
- If you love salted egg, eat this. If you love crab, eat this. Salted egg crab is a local Singaporean dish that you can’t find anywhere else! Perhaps you can find a variation in Malaysia, but the one in Singapore is much nicer.
- Address: Zhen Zi Ba Chor Mee. Block 29 Bendemeer Road, Bendemeer and Food Centre. #01–21
- Cost: S$3
- My brother can finish 3 bowls in 1 sitting! It comes with flat noodles (Mee-Pok), paired with minced meat, sauce, mushrooms, meatball (optional) and some vegetables
- Rice with coconut, this is another dish where the rice matters. Nasi Lemak is a Malay dish, usually paired with chicken, fish, egg and cucumber with their special chilli. It can be found in every food market in Singapore. As for the best one? I think Boon Lay Power Nasi Lemak is the best. (from reviews everywhere. Have not eaten it though)
- Address: #01-06, Boon Lay Place Market and Food Centre, 221 Boon Lay Place
- Cost: SGD$3
Traditional Teh Tarik at Mr Zamir Ahmad’s Teh Tarik
- 21 Bussorah Street Singapore
- We met a few Malay ladies that were having some snacks at that time. They visit this place every weekend for many years now to drink their tea, eat traditional Malay cakes and chat with each other.
Top 10-15 Food in Singapore
Penang Laksa from Simei Penang Laska
- Address:Yuhua Village Market & Food Centre; 254 Jurong East St. 24, Singapore, 600254
- Cost: $4/person
- My brother and I used to walk to the food centre to buy the Penang laksa to bring home and eat for lunch.
Grilled Squid from Banana Leaf Centre
- Address: HDB Clementi #01-271, 450 Clementi Avenue 3, (S)120450
- Cost: SGD$8/person
- Favourite supper place with my family. I miss going out at night, hunting for food to eat together as a family!
Ba Ku Teh from Ya Hua Rou Gu Cha Restaurant.
- Address: #01-05/07, Tanjong Pagar Complex, 7 Keppel Road
- Cost: SGD$20/person
- This is the only BKT I eat. So you can pretty much guess how good it is.
- The fresh ones comes in from Malaysia (picked in the morning and reach at night) at about 11pm and the durians are so fresh, fleshy and perfect balance of taste! I recommend you to check out the neighbourhood areas at 10-11pm during July-August, durian season.
- Other than that, eat the durian puffs at Goodwood Park Hotel. Although I can make the durian puffs, these ones are equally irresistible. The other durian pastries are horrible, I do not recommend that.
- Address: Old Airport Road, Singapore
- Cost: SGD$2
Top 16-20 Food in Singapore
- I love to say that rojak is THE Singapore dish, because it is literally all the random food you can find, and toss it in a bowl with sauce and mix it. It is really like the culture in Singapore, where one just mixes all the different races and religion and become one. I do miss Singapore.
BBQ Sambal Stingray from B.B.Q. Seafood
- Address: Yung Sheng Road, #03-178 Taman Jurong Market & Food Centre
- Cost: SGD$5/person
Black Pepper Crab and Salted Egg Crab
- Address: Bukit Batok east blk 279
- Cost: SGD$20-40/person
Roti Prata from ENAQ Roti Prata
- Address: Blk 303 Jurong East St 32
- Cost: SGD$5/person
- This prata shop was opposite one of the houses I used to stay. Their prata is mamamia-lisciously good! We used to go there on weekend mornings to grab some good prata.
Pork Knuckle Fest from a Stew Kuche
- Address: 119 Bukit Merah Lane 1, Block 119, Singapore 151119
- Cost: SGD$30/person
Top 20-25 Food in Singapore
BBQ Satay & Chicken Wings
- Address: Stall 55, East Coast Lagoon Food Village
Grass Jelly from Bukit Timah Market
Black Carrot Cake from Lau Gua Carrot Cake
- Address: Zion Riverside Food Centre, Stall 26, Singapore 247780
- Cost: SGD$4/person
- A very sweet history story from the past (see the link). The couple, both mute, run the stall, serving extremely good carrot cakes. Do stop by and eat them if you have the chance.
Veal Ravioli with Truffle Cream Sauce from La Nonna
- Address: 26/26B Lorong Mambong, Singapore 227685
- Cost: SGD$40/person
- This place make really good ravioli at a decent price!
Salted Egg Bun (Liu Sha Bao) from anywhere
- Liu Sha Bao is salted custard egg bun, is flowy when you split the bun apart. The contents are piping hot and super tasty. It is flowy, salty and perfect blend with the sweet bun.
The restaurant is super over-rated (in my opinion) so I will not share the place. However, if I find anywhere that has good LSB, I will update this post!
It is essential to make a list of good food to eat in Singapore so that I can share this list with all those going to Singapore, and share the love of food with everyone.
“People who love to eat are always the best people.” -Trevellers
Trevellers is my way to change the world. Through my stories, tips and lessons learnt, I truly hope to inspire you to get out of your comfort zone, see the world and see who you truly are. Travel is more than just taking a selfie at beautiful destinations. Travel is an adventure, where you can truly become who you are, give you the time to reflect and grow to become the person you’ve always dreamt of.