Guess my favourite day of the week in Hong Kong? It’s Thursday. Thursday is ladies night in Hong Kong. That means, free drinks and free entry for all ladies! This is an itinerary and top 15 favourite bars for this Ultimate Guide to Party in Hong Kong.
Ladies night is the reason to live through Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays. In Asia, there’s this thing called Ladies Night where ladies get drinks for free.
I’ve had some of the best Thursday nights in Hong Kong. The Rule of Thursdays with Lisa: get 10 free alcoholic drinks (shots or cocktails) before you can go home. Unfortunately, the maximum I only had per night was 8. Yet to beat my record, so I hope you do!
So it’s just Lan Kwai Fung (LKF)? No honey, it’s more than just LKF. Wanchai’s Hennessy Road is a lovely place to be at. In fact, their ladies night starts on Wednesdays. Oh isn’t wonderful to be alive!
Carnegies is a one of the few places I frequent. Here’s some deals: HK$10 Coronas on Fridays before 11pm, FREE champagne for ladies on Thurdays, $10/jäagerbomb. Let me tell you, this place is INSANE. The beers are so damn cheap that you really have to squeeze really badly to get to the bartender. After buying the beers, you hangout outside with your friends. It’s always filled with people! (Update 2018: Carnegies has closed down after years of being a favourite local hangout in Wanchai.)
Typhoon is another bar in Wanchai’s Hennessy Road just across the streets. This place is much quieter as compared to Carnegies. They serve free vodka + cranberry or orange on Thursdays. It’s also a great place to watch football, if you’re into that.
Mes Amis is a Mexican-ish restaurant/club. They operate like a restaurant at nights and magically turn to a club-ish place nearing midnight. The minimum age to get in is 21 and ladies get 2 free drinks! Advice: act like a 21 year old and enter.
Next Step: Cab to LKF
In Hong Kong, you can squeeze 5 people in a cab. Usually just enter the cab, ask the uncle to take you to LKF and pay him a little more tips. LKF is always crazily filled with people, especially Fridays, Saturdays and holidays. This (above) was taken during Halloween. Tip: NEVER go to LKF during Halloween.
I will split LKF into 3.
Bottom: where you have tons of Shisha bar (especially at the alley), smaller bars and the middle section with lots of people hanging outside.
Up: where you have the more dancing-bars type of places
Side: where you have Beijing, Play, Level 2 and Magnum. The big boys of clubs.
Other than LKF, you have Mid-Levels with smaller bars and restaurants. If you’re looking at a more peaceful and chill place, head for Mid-Levels. There’s a Yorkshire bar near the escalators and lots of quaint bars that serve good mulled wine during winter.
15 Favourite Clubs/Bars in LKF:
- China Bar: This is the clubs we always go to when there’s nowhere else to go. They have vodka with cranberry/orange for ladies. Music isn’t so good and the dance floor isn’t nice.
- Graffiti Bar: Literally go for the drink only. Vodka with cranberry/orange for ladies.
- Seven Haven: This club is still rather new. It’s a huge area to dance, but there’s really empty.
- Azure: One of the favourite. Champagne for ladies on Thursdays. It’s a rooftop club/bar on Hotel LKF and it’s a 2-story club on the rooftop and you can get out! Not many people dance, but it’s cool when you start and everyone follows suite. Also, they have a really chill place at the level below the rooftop. They even have a pool table! Minimum age is 21 to enter.
- Rayne: Actually I’m not sure if this still exists. The stretch of clubs along the street (opposite Solas) has a rather quick turnover. The bouncers are extremely friendly and will flirt with you to get you into the club. That’s just interesting. The club is small and squeezy.
- 6o: This has a special ladies mix on Thursday nights.
- Solas: I’ve only managed to sneak in once before. They’re super strict with the age requirements: 21 year old! Nonetheless, it wasn’t that fun for me to sneak in again.
- The one beside Solas: this is one of my favorites. I once lost my friend (Holly) there. We only contacted each other the next day! I don’t remember if they give free drinks to ladies, but I know they have quite a strict age requirement when the night is young. If you’re younger than 21, enter after 1130pm-ish. They bouncers are quite mean cause they forbid me to bring my helium balloon in and I had to let it go 🙁
- Bloop Shisha Lounge: I don’t shisha, but if you do, THIS IS THE PLACE YOU HAVE TO GO. There’s a shark tank in the middle of the bar with real sharks in it. There’s a minimum charge to sit in though.
- Dragon-i: It’s at a level above Solas. It’s more catered for the older crowd, IMO. Pass.
- Privé: this is an underground club opposite 7-11, along the slopes. They have a free drink for ladies. I actually like this place cause it’s underground, but the music is not that good. My funniest memory was when my roomie and I went into the boy’s toilet by mistake, but the people just allow us to enter. We actually didn’t realize it was a mistake till we left the club.
- Beijing club: Dress code required. Free drinks for ladies. The real dancing club
- Play: Dress code required. Free drinks for ladies. The real dancing club
- Level 2: Dress code required. Free drinks for ladies. The real dancing club
- Magnum: Dress code required. Free drinks for ladies. The real dancing club
Beijing, Play, Level 2 and Magnum are clubs with large dance floors, DJs and dress code. The rest are smaller and more like a mix of a bar with clubs. These are, however, just clubs. I fancy the smaller ones over the large clubs. Also, the prices for males for the clubs are rather steep.
I’ve given you a list of so many clubs. You better take up the Thursdays with Lisa challenge and finish 10 FREE drinks before going home! What I usually do is to club-hop.
- Carnegies (or start straight in LKF)
- Graffiti Bar
- Seven Haven
- Hit more clubs/bars along the area
- China Bar (it has to be the last before moving up)
- 6 o
- Clubs along that stretch
- The one beside Solas
This is my usual routine during the Thursday nights in Hong Kong. The bars have a high turnover, as in a new bar pops up once every year, so some might not exist anymore. If you’re still clueless despite my explanations, head over to LKF to find out more.
Of course, this list is not exhaustive. There are party areas in Sheung Wan, Mongkok and TST. Also, the main reason I stopped going to such clubs is that there are other ways to parties. But let’s just leave these stories for another time.
Trevellers is my way to change the world. Through my stories, tips and lessons learnt, I truly hope to inspire you to get out of your comfort zone, see the world and see who you truly are. Travel is more than just taking a selfie at beautiful destinations. Travel is an adventure, where you can truly become who you are, give you the time to reflect and grow to become the person you’ve always dreamt of.