If you are in London, you need to visit the city of Bath. Bath is a great getaway for a short break, an extension to your London travel or just exploring the beautiful city. It is also a UNESCO heritage site!
Bath is easily accessible from London. A short ride away, you can get to Bath under 2.5h with any mode of transportation. I recommend visiting Bath for 3 days. You can leave London early in the morning and return at night on day 3.
London to Bath via the Coach
The coach connections are fantastic in London. With National Express, you can get to Bath for just £5! If I have the luxury of time, I prefer taking the bus as you get to enjoy the scenery along the way. With National Express bus, you even have free wifi, entertainment (movies, magazines) and comfortable seats.
It takes 2h30min for the journey, the same time as a car and there are 16 daily direct departures.
National Express Coach Information
All the stations are in the city centre, perfect for travellers.
- Departing from: London Victoria Coach Station
- Arriving at: Bath Main Bus Stop, Dorchester Street. (1-min away from Bath Spa Rail Station)
The bus has 4 stops along the way:
- Heathrow Airport
- Cost: from £5
- Duration: from 2h30min
Trevellers Tip 1: Upon arriving in London’s Heathrow Airport, hop on National Express to get to Bath. After exploring Bath for 3 days, head to London!
Trevellers Tip 2: You can book a day in advance and the ticket prices are still below £10!
London to Bath via the Train
The other option is getting a train. It is an hour faster, so your duration is 1h30min. This option is great for business travellers who are short of time. The schedule starts at 05:19 am. It is great for a day trip, where you do not spend a night in the city. It takes 1h30min for the journey. There are 31 daily direct departures.
GWR Train Information
Train stations are in the city centre.
- Departing from: London Paddington Station
- Arriving at: Bath SPA Station
- Cost: from £15 up to £100
- Duration: from 1h30min
Trevellers Tip 3: If you are taking the train, book at least 7 days advance! If you book a day before, the prices are £35-99.
Trevellers Tip 4: take airport express to Paddington Station, change to GWR at Paddington.
London to Bath with a Private Car
The next option is to drive. You can either rent a car at London airport or London city centre. It takes 2h20min to drive from London to Bath, via M4. It is the same as the bus. Car rental is calculated per day.
Things to Note:
- Is there a limit to the distance you can drive?
- Where is your pick up/drop off point?
- Will you be driving a lot in Bath? Bath is a relatively small city which is perfect to explore on foot.
Alternatively, you can check blablacar and get a ride. It costs about £12-30, depending on the ride. Make sure to note a few things:
- Is the drop off in Bath? Most of them stop in Bristol or Dyrham Park.
- Check the ratings and reviews of the driver.
- Make sure the car you are taking in nice and spacious.
Learn how to book on blablacar!
- Duration: from 2h20min
Trevellers Tip 6: If you are renting a car, place your ad on Blablacar and get others to ride with you!
Of all 3 methods, we recommend travelling by bus with National Express.
- It is affordable.
- Book on the day itself and it is still very affordable!
- The scenery along the way is lovely; countryside with farm animals.
- Free wifi and entertainment.
- The bus stop is in the city centre, making it really easy to get to get around the city.
Trevellers is my way to change the world. Through my stories, tips and lessons learnt, I truly hope to inspire you to get out of your comfort zone, see the world and see who you truly are. Travel is more than just taking a selfie. Travel is an adventure, where you can truly become who you are, give you the time to reflect and grow to become the person you’ve always wanted to be.