There are so many underrated places to visit in the world. Instead of the usual touristy places, you find on TripAdvisor and other boring cookie-cutter landmarks, check out these underrated and amazing places instead.
Trevellers Tip 1: if you take uber/lyft, ask the drivers about the underrated places and less known things to do in the area!
Underrated Places in USA
Los Angeles, USA
You need a car in Los Angeles. Period.
Instead of: Venice, Santa Monica, Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Movie Star home tours
Do this instead: Getty Center, Griffith Observatory, Gamble House, Bradbury Building, Annenberg Space, MOCA, Museum of Jurassic Technology, Huntington Library and Gardens, Descanso Gardens, Westin Bonaventure Hotel, Yamashiro, Abalone Cove Nature Reserve in Palos Verdes (great beach), Sunken City in Pedro, Boyle Heights, East LA, Highland Park, Koreatown, DTLA, Thai Town, Atwater Village, Los Feliz, Larchmont Village, Echo Park
- Getty Center: art, history and culture of LA
- Griffith Observatory: space version of Getty
- Food & other recommendations
- Pasadena: Norton Simon Museum, Gamble House
- Westin Bonaventure Hotel: public access to the glass elevators and there’s a bar/restaurant at the very top. Great views.
- Yamashiro: highest points in Hollywood gorgeous view. (1999 N Sycamore Ave Hollywood, CA 90068) Don’t have to eat at the restaurant. Walk up the hill to the garden.
- Taco trucks: all over San Fernando Valley. Try El Patron.
Washington DC, USA
Instead of: National Gallery of Art
Do this instead: The Smithsonian Galleries, Renwick Gallery, African Art Gallery, and Hirshhorn, Mansion on O, National Arboretum.
- Smithsonian galleries: Air and Space Museum (go to the IMAX in the evening), National Museum of Natural History, National Postal Museum
- White House: Tours must be booked in advance – at minimum 3 weeks
Instead of: Downtown Daytona Beach, Theme Parks
Do this instead: Flagler Beach, Murrells Inlet, Litchfield Beach, Pawley’s Island, Rivers, Lake Eola, 50 District, Park Ave Winter Park, Wekiva Islands, Milk District, Farmer’s Market, Orlando Science Centre, Winter Park Scenic Boat Tour, Leu Gardens (Audubon Park)
- Drive just 25 minutes up A1A, there are miles of untouched public beaches and a quaint little surf town called Flagler Beach.
- Murrells Inlet, Litchfield Beach, Pawley’s Island: beaches and towns near Myrtle Beach are a lot nicer and less crowded than Myrtle Beach itself.
- Canoeing or kayaking in the rivers, Swimming at Wekiva or Blue Springs. The rivers are stunningly clear with tons of wildlife to see.
- Farmer’s Market: Orlando Farmer’s Market (Lake Eola/Downtown), Winter Park Farmer’s Market, Winter Garden Farmer’s Market, Audubon Park Community Market, Sanford Farmers Market
Instead of: Geno’s and Pat’s cheesesteaks, The Constitution Center, The National Liberty Museum, The Bourse Building, Point Breeze, Fish Town
Do this instead: ask a local for cheesesteak place, Reading Terminal Market, The President’s Mansion, Library Hall, Mutter Museum, Rosenbach Museum, James Joyce’s handwritten manuscript for Ulysses, the earliest extant letter from George Washington, Edgar Allen Poe House, Philly’s Observation Deck in City Hall
- About that cheesesteak place: No one is the ultimate best, but they are all good cheesesteaks.
- Rosenbach Museum: home to Lewis Carroll’s copy of Alice in Wonderland
Las Vegas, USA
Instead of: Casinos, The Pawn Stars Pawn Shop,
Do this instead: El Cortaz, Hoover Dam, Lake Mead, Colorado River, Red Rock Canyon, Mt Charleston, Valley of Fire.
- Check out Tix4Tonight to see a show.
- Sign up for Player’s Club (free) in each casino. They usually give you like $10. You keep what you win.
- Sit by penny slots and get free cocktails! Tip the waitress.
Instead of: Yellowstone Park
Do this instead: Glacier Park, Bozeman, Beaverhead River, Lewis and Clark Caverns, Many Glacier, Flathead Lake, Missoula
- Drive up Hwy 287/89 from Helena to East Glacier at sunset: it’s one of the most beautiful drives in the world.
New York, USA
Instead of: The Statue of Liberty
Do this instead: Hudson River Park, Sheeps Meadow (Central Park), The High Line, The Cloisters, Inwood Park, Central Park Conservatory Garden, promenade in Brooklyn, Fort Tilden, Carl Schurz Park, The Gantry Plaza, Brooklyn Bridge Park, Governor’s Island
Instead of: just staying in your resort like a boring ass person
Do this instead: Stairway to Heaven hike, Koko Head Crater Trail, Makapu’u Lighthouse Trail, Ka’ena Point Hike, Olomana Trail (Three Peaks), Kalalau Trail (Na Pali Coast)
- Hawaii is not a “freedom to roam” state. You cannot do random things as you please. Follow the rules.
- Get a car.
- Respect sea life.
- Costco for everything. Get the membership if you are not staying in a hotel.
Underrated Places in Canada
Instead of: CN Tower, Rogers Centre, Ripley’s Aquarium
Do this instead: Art Gallery of Ontario, Royal Ontario Museum, Distillery District, Kensington Market, Allan Gardens
Niagara Falls, Canada
Instead of: everything else except Niagara fall and the boat. Most are tourist traps.
Do this instead: ONLY the falls and the boat
- Trevellers Tip 2: Go there, see the fall, get on the boat ride, leave.
- Trevellers Tip 3: Leave Toronto REALLY early. Get the first boat ride. Take pictures from up top & take lots of pictures. Leave before lunchtime.
Instead of: Capilano Park, Stanley Park
Do this instead: Sullivan Heights in Surrey & see peacocks, Lynn Canyon Park, Burnaby, Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam, and Maple Ridge, Lynn Valley Suspension, Bowen Lookout (Hike), Granville Island, Kitsilano Beach, Spanish Banks, Joffre Lake (Hike), Queen Elizabeth Park
- Lynn Canyon Park: swim in the creek, hike trails, Mother Nature
- Burnaby, Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam, and Maple Ridge: winter time to see snow.
Trevellers is my way to change the world. Through my stories, tips and lessons learnt, I truly hope to inspire you to get out of your comfort zone, see the world and see who you truly are. Travel is more than just taking a selfie at beautiful destinations. Travel is an adventure, where you can truly become who you are, give you the time to reflect and grow to become the person you’ve always dreamt of.