April shower brings May flowers. May is the best time to visit the Netherlands for her beautiful tulip blossoms. Instead of the touristy Kinderdijk, here’s a bicycle itinerary for you to spend a day amongst the tulip fields for free!
This is perfect for a date, just saying.
The route goes from Leiden to Lisse. Rent your bicycle in Leiden and return it at Lisse, then take the train home.
Numbered cycle network: Start – 59 – 58 – 55 – 57 – 38 – 30 – 91 – 29 – 49 -à Kekenhof – 40 – 28 – 12 – 11 – 48 – 47 – 80 – 42 – 69 – 75 – 66 – 65 – 27 – 94 – 60 – 67 – Finish
That is the rough network. We started in Leiden and followed the cyclists till we saw the numbers on the poles. Then, we checked where we were and followed the numbered network accordingly.
I recommend you to stay in Lisse the night before to get a good start of the day. Note that bicycles are completely rented out early in the morning, so you definitely need to start your day early, especially if you want to spend some time in Keukenhof Garden!
Details & FAQ
- Where do you rent the bikes? You can get the OV-bicycles at the train station or rent bicycles from the bicycles shops at the train station (8-10€)
- For the bicycles at the shops, you usually need to present your photo-ID and they keep it as a deposit.
- How long will it take? 2-3 hours without Keukenhof Garden, depending on the route you decide to take (We spent slightly longer because we were taking too many pictures!)
- What is the total distance? 30-45km, depending on the route you take
- Best period to visit? End of March to beginning of May
- Best time to visit? I prefer in the late afternoon, where it is cooler than mid-day.
Cycling around the tulip fields is like no other. Rows and rows of endless tulip bulbs growing in neat little lines. Everyone places their bicycle outside of the various farmland and walk down the narrow lines to take pictures. It was truly an amazing experience.
Why tulips and the Netherlands? Netherlands is the top exporter of tulips in the entire world, hence tulips are iconic in the Netherlands. In fact, there was a time where there was a tulips bulb bubble and prices sky rocketed.
However, tulips came from Turkey in the Ottoman empire!
Tulips field and this cycling itinerary is great for you guys who want to explore the road less travelled. Most tourists and package tour would bring people to Keukenhof Garden instead. You will also pass by it during this cycling itinerary, and go inside if you want. It’s payable.
The Keukenhof is the world’s largest flower garden. There are more than 7 million flower bulbs of all sorts of species there! The garden is decorated with beautiful coloured tulips, which is perfect for your Instagram spring pictures.
Other than the Keukenhof garden, the flower parade is another spectacular sight! Known as Bloemencorso in Dutch, this is the most famous flower parade in the world. Think of Carnival in Germany, but instead of funny floats, that floats are covered in beautiful fresh flowers.
More about The Netherlands
- 7 Facts about The Netherlands
- 10 Favourite Cities in The Netherlands
- (Cheap and Good) Dutch Food
- 5 Local Dutch Tips & Tricks
Trevellers is my way to change the world. Through my stories, tips and lessons learnt, I truly hope to inspire you to get out of your comfort zone, see the world and see who you truly are. Travel is more than just taking a selfie at beautiful destinations. Travel is an adventure, where you can truly become who you are, give you the time to reflect and grow to become the person you’ve always dreamt of.