A region we cannot miss out is Bali. There is a lot to talk about, so I will split this into 3 sections. This talks about the general guide about Bali and its region. The next talks about Bali. The last talks about the other islands.
Basic General Guide about Bali and its Region
- Denpasar: avoid it. It is the 10 miles area around the airport. You’ll find a lot of people trying to sell you shit. Just ignore them.
- Exceptions: beginner’s surfing and higher end establishments.
- Ubud: heritage area with lots of art. Good for a day trip, unless you love art and nature.
- Downside: far from the sea (30 mins), even further from good beaches (around 1 hour of motobike).
- Nusa Dua: where the villas are and near water activities
- Lovina: far from the airport, very quiet and you can see lots of wild dolphins.
General Information of Bali and its Region
Overall, the 4G coverage is good enough with reasonable prices. It’s good for maps navigation, communication and Google.
- Telkomsel: slightly more expensive but best coverage
- XL Axiata: cheapest but worst coverage, especially in Ubud area
Bali has the most traffic, the other islands have less congestion. Rent motorbikes and explore the island on two-wheels. Wear a helmet and beware of some dirt roads towards the remote spots like reef, caves and secret beaches.
Rent a motorbike and drive down to Uluwatu. There is a beautiful cliff-side surf town to check out. Sit by the bar overlooking the huge waves and surfers doing their thing.
Don’t plan trips of more than 2 hours long on a scooter, your butt will thank you later. Buy a cheap phone holder for navigation and ask to install it in any tire repair shop. It usually mounts on the mirror.
Watch out for sunburns on a scooter, even on cloudy day. Always apply a sun screen to all exposed skin, spots which are often missed are backs of the hands, and spots revealed when wind blows up your shorts and t-shirt. Have a bottle of water with you.
You also need an international driving license to drive legally, though police encounters are rare and typical bribe is around 50k ($4). Needless to say, it’s stupid to not wear a helmet.
You can get Grab or GoJek via the app. If you are looking for a day’s worth of driving, hire a private driver.
If you use a cab, only use Bluebird and the cab with a meter. This will save you lots of money and you will not be cheated.
There are plenty of stories of criminals and gangs. There are also hugs, spiders, snakes and wild animals. Just be careful. And be wary of drugs.
Avoid drinking the water in Bali, including ice cubes and salad. Only do that in nice restaurants. Always drink bottled water.
Trevellers is my way to change the world. Through my stories, tips and lessons learnt, I truly hope to inspire you to get out of your comfort zone, see the world and see who you truly are. Travel is more than just taking a selfie. Travel is an adventure, where you can truly become who you are, give you the time to reflect and grow to become the person you’ve always wanted to be.