Other than Southeast Asia, Central America is another incredible place that is suitable for many budgets. This is a great option if you live on the other side of the world, in North America. Here’s a 5 Days Nicaragua itinerary.
Check the guides for Southeast Asia here.
Nicaragua Backpacking Itinerary in a Snapshot
- Countries: Nicaragua
- Destinations: Managua Leon Granada
- Cost: US$600
- Duration: 5 days
- Transportation (rough costing guide): flights (US$250), local transport (US$40)
- Accommodations: US$15 per night
- Duration: 1 night
- Getting around: head to the city center and stay just for a night. Head to Leon the next day.
- Thing to note: Managua is quite sketchy around the airport. Try to blend in and not draw attention to yourself.
- Tica bus station in Managua is shady. It’s empty at night and people get robbed.
- There are fake taxis! The authorized taxis have RED license plates. There are two red stripes – one on the top and one on the bottom of the plates.
- Lock your doors when you are in the cab.
- Avoid credit cards
- In Managua, around the vicinity of the old cathedral is a well-known crime pit, and incidents against foreigners have occurred on Avenida Bolivar between the Plaza Inter Rotunda and the Military Hospital, the TICABUS terminal in Barrio Martha Quezada, and in the Altamira neighborhood.
Stay: Hotel Monte Cristi
Heading to Leon
- Duration: 3 days
- Getting around: taxi from your hotel or hostel to the UCA bus station. And head to Leon via bus (US$3)
- Leon vans are white and marked from the main road. The locals will also try to sell you seats, so don’t worry if you can’t find it. It takes about 1.5h.
Leon has beautiful colonial architecture. It definitely has a very hip, studenty ‘revolutionary’ vibe. For nightlife lovers, this is a great place. Also, Leon is the safest places of all 3 cities.
- Duration: 3 days
- Getting around: BTS (metro system), tuk-tuks (local tricycles), Grab (Uber in Asia)
- #1 must do: Catedral De Leon Nicaragua, Church the Recollection, hiking Cerro Negro (active volcano), Playa San Juan Venado, Telica Volcano
- Duration: 1 day
- Getting around: 2.5h from Leon by bus (US$20)
- #1 must do: Also Granada has the townhouse hostel which is connected to the treehouse hostel which offers once a weekend jungle raves which are mad and so fun.
Stay: The Townhouse
Bonus: Ometepe Island
If you have additional time, head to Ometepe Island in Lake Nicaragua. It’s a double volcano island and absolutely beautiful.
Trevellers is my way to change the world. Through my stories, tips and lessons learnt, I truly hope to inspire you to get out of your comfort zone, see the world and see who you truly are. Travel is more than just taking a selfie. Travel is an adventure, where you can truly become who you are, give you the time to reflect and grow to become the person you’ve always wanted to be.